Leap’s Motion Sensor Is the Real Leap Towards Virtual Reality

• Leap’s Motion Sensor Is the Real Leap Towards Virtual Reality

Virtual Reality (VR) has been one of those tech things that I am really looking forward to. I want to immerse myself into the world of zombies, darkness and seclusion; maybe something like a VR rendition of Alone in the dark 2, or something more contemporaneous like the Resident evil 7. Leap Motion seems like a silver lining in the world of chunkier controllers with its motion-sensing tech that is strapped onto the VR headsets and not to your hands. After all, it’s better to move objects with hands rather than fiddling with the controllers.

Leap’s motion sensor peripherals are required to be strapped to the front of your VR headset; a little chunky though, but still better than holding onto two different controllers in your hands—something that’s really a turn off for those who want an immersive experience out of VR (well, that’s what VR was made for originally).
      The aforementioned accessory was initially working on a software that was built only for desktop PCs. But now, it’s getting a serious upgrade in the form of a new hardware and software solution called Orion.

And prior to Orion, Leap Motion sensors would only work with Razer’s OSVR, but then again, it was just available as a face plate. Orion is a custom hardware that’s designed especially for the VR headsets. And with more recognition, it’s expected that Leap would get more VR headset manufactures onboard to embed its Leap Motion’s 3D motion sensors into their VR and AR headsets.

According to Leap Motion’s CEO and co-founder Michael Buckwald said: "The category that's most likely to adopt this is untethered mobile VR", and that’s make sense particularly due to the compact nature of mobile VR headsets. Plus, you wouldn’t want to carry around additional controllers with you to experience VR on your mobile phone.

So how is the performance?

Let’s talk real business now, i.e. how great Leap Motion’s new motion sensing hardware is? Well, according to Engadget’s Nicole Lee, the tracking is really fast, smooth and accurate. In fact, the hardware is so sensitive that it could not just detect the hands, but also the fingers that it couldn’t see. Whoa! The hardware uses hint of pixel around the knuckles to determine where the rest of your fingers are, in case you were thinking.

She mentioned that holding onto objects is quite easy; the movements are cleaner and sharper. “I found that I was able to do actions that required a lot more precision, such as creating a catapult and balancing a bar on top of a block. I created spheres and threw it at targets, stacked blocks with ease and spun a cube on its side”, said Lee.

Leap’s best feature is not it’s hardware, but rather a powerful software that’s making Leap Motion as a successful reality. And as Buckwald once said, “The holy grail of virtual reality is a sense of total presence and immersion. With Orion, we're enabling developers and OEMs to create that type of experience." True that!
      www.vrdiscussion.com - Virtual Reality Forum, Blog and Videos
      sign in or register